Wednesday, December 2, 2009

My second review - an ethical question...

Enfin! My second review from www.youwriteon.com has been posted!

"think I must be starting in my second childhood because I enjoyed reading this. These children seem alive, and show concern for their granddad. The story flows very well; this gives the urgency of their mission.
The whole story is well thought out and told in a simple way, so even an old earthbound codger like me could understand it. That is always important, but especially today when so many young people prefer gadgetry to reading. In my opinion you have got it right.
There is one small point that I would like to make about this writing, and it is because it is aimed at children as young as seven. Nowadays we can't pick up very many modern novels without filthy language being in the text. There is none in this I am glad to say, but I will draw your attention to page 13, line 23. Granddad has been asked about the yellow button and he answers, "It runs like hell."
My question is, 'Is the word hell suitable for young children who should be being taught not to use this word and others like it in this kind of context?' I don't think it is, but you are the one to decide.
I wish you well with the story."

No comments:

Post a Comment