Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Rejection

Many years ago I wrote my first novel – “Bread and Whiskey” which made it as far as the editors table at Wolfhound Publishing. Through a friend of a friend I had submitted the first few chapters and they rang me to say that they wanted to see more. That was how I imagined it would work. I would submit my first few chapters, they would want to see more and then they would publish. Despite all of the hard luck stories out there I believed that my work was so contagiously hilarious that the first publisher to read it would snap me up. Needless to say, they rejected it and I stopped writing for five years. Essentially I went into a writer’s huff. I swore under my breath and refused to make eye contact with my keyboard.

Nice one. There’s five years I’ll never get back.

Today I got an email rejection from the Laura Cecil Agency. It was rather polite, I must say…even self-deprecating. They are a small agency and don’t feel that they have the capacity to take on my ambitious projects. The email rejected me but gave me a little cuddle at the same time.



I'm going to have a wall full of rejections in the near future and they will be like duelling scars and I'll be proud of each and every one.

No comments:

Post a Comment